Drew Brees-A Look Back

Drew Brees-A Look Back

Drew Brees announced his retirement from the NFL recently via Instagram. 

Coming out of Purdue, Brees was selected 32nd overall by the then-San Diego Chargers in the 2001 draft. With the Chargers, Brees flashed his potential during his first five seasons, flourishing in 2004 with a 27-touchdown campaign to help the Chargers to a 12-4 record. 

However, Brees will be remembered most for his time in New Orleans. The Saints signed Brees in 2006 and got 15 years of possibly the most consistent quarterback production of the entire NFL. 

Brees missed only two starts for the Saints from 2006-2018. During those years, Brees exceeded the 5,000-yard mark five times, led the NFL in passing yards seven times, and threw at least 30 touchdowns 10 times.

Even though injuries sidelined Brees throughout his final two seasons, missing a total of nine games between 2019 and 2020, his numbers hardly slipped from his debut with the Saints until he said goodbye. Brees recorded a passer rating above 100 in nine of his final 12 seasons, posting a career-high 116.3 in 2019. 

Under head coach Sean Payton, Brees was arguably the reason for the Saints’ postseason consistency, guiding them to nine different playoff appearances and helping capture the franchise’s first Super Bowl victory in 2009. 

Drew Brees hangs up his cleats as the NFL’s all-time leader in completions, completion percentage, and career passing yards. Not to mention 13 Pro Bowl appearances, five All-Pro honors, two Offensive Player of the Year awards, a Comeback Player of the Year award, and the  MVP of Super Bowl XLIV. 

“I think Drew Brees was an amazing QB, and I think he definitely deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame. Not only was he a great player, but he had great sportsmanship, and always respected the other team’s players, whether they won or lost. All around Drew Brees had an awesome career and congrats to him on his retirement,” said Lianna Zuvich, a WJPS junior. 

“Drew Brees will go down as one of the greatest in NFL history. He was such a good quarterback and a great team player. He was more than just a team’s QB, but he was a friend to all,” said Nicholas Zuvich, a WJPS sophomore. 

We will see if everything Brees has accomplished will earn him a spot in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. 

Photo: “- Drew Brees” by Jack Kurzenknabe is marked with CC PDM 1.0