FAFSA Turmoil

FAFSA+Turmoil

It’s around that time of the year again, when excited seniors prepare to make the important decision of what college they plan to attend. Although before students can make their decision, they must wait for their financial aid packages from each of the universities they applied to. 

Yet the longstanding issues this year with the Free Application for Student Aid(FAFSA) has made this process incredibly difficult for its applicants.

The FAFSA’s late processing has led to universities receiving the students general financial aid package much later than what was planned; having received the packages late, universities have prolonged their own evaluation of the packages leaving students anticipating. 

WJPS 12th grader, Nathaniel Granger stated, “I feel like the FAFSA’s late processing is a really bad look on their part, seeing as it affects not only students but also the colleges because everyone has to face the pushback.” 

Some students have stated that they have begun to receive a few of their packages from the colleges they applied to, while others are still eagerly waiting for even their first package. 

WJPS 12th grader, Nick Persuad added, “I already accepted Stony Brook as my college yet I haven’t received my financial aid package which makes me feel uncertain for the tuition.”

Overall the patience of many students has been running thin with the uncertainty of the situation, as they continue to fearfully wait.