Should WJPS become an independent school?

WJPS has been a conjoined school for quite some time now, sharing a building with the middle school I.S 25. Sharing a school comes with many issues, including overcrowding and minimum shared space for activities. 

Overcrowding of a school can lead to teachers being late for their next lesson and students being late to their next class. Overcrowding also can lead to very little space for students to take a test or hold any club activities. 

Not only does overcrowding and lack of space cause proximity problems, but it’s also inconvenient with the ongoing issue of COVID-19. With the pandemic still ongoing, the number of students in one school can easily cause even a simple cold to be passed around, and, even more likely, a virus-like COVID-19.

WJPS senior Jenny Kuo said, “It is very difficult passing through so many students in such a narrow hallway. So I hope in the future that WJPS can become its own school or do renovations to make the building bigger.”

WJPS teacher Ms. Kontos said, “I haven’t been in this school for long, but I do agree that it is very difficult to pass through the hallways on a day-to-day basis. Especially with so many students in one building. Hopefully, in the near future, this issue can be resolved.”