Japan Prepares for the Summer Olympics

The 2020 Summer Olympics were supposed to be held last year in Tokyo, Japan, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the games were postponed. 

The summer games will resume this coming July and end on August eighth. 

The Olympic flame was lit in March of 2020 in Olympia, Greece and spent a year at the Olympic Museum in Tokyo.

The Olympic Torch, which stands for unity and solidarity within humankind began its 121 day journey from Fukushima to Tokyo’s National Stadium.

Since the COVID-19 pandemic is still with us, the Olympic Games will follow strict guidelines for mask wearing and social distancing. 

Every four days, the athletes of the summer games will be tested for COVID-19. 

According to Paul Cobourne, a WJPS junior, “I think the Olympics happening in Tokyo is nice for a change. And if they have been following the guideline rules about COVID and cases have been decreasing then I don’t see a problem with having the Olympics.” 

Four new Olympic sports will debut this summer. The four sports are karate, sports climbing, surfboarding and skateboarding.

International spectators will not be allowed to watch the games in person, and families of athletes will not be allowed either. 

As Ms. Patritti, an English teacher at WJPS stated, “The summer Olympics could happen if the proper safety rules are in place, such as Covid testing, no large crowds, and restrictions that will keep participants safe.”

With keeping the health and safety of the athletes in mind, local fans have been advised to only clap to show their support. They are not allowed to shout out or sing. 

“London 2012 Olympic Games” by amsr_photography is licensed under CC BY 2.0