At-Home Test Distribution

According to the New York City Department of Education, as COVID-19 cases rise again, New York City School schools are now providing four at-home COVID-19 tests for students every week until further notice. 

Two tests are given to students to use, while the other two tests are for any family members who may also need to test. Tests should be done weekly and five days apart unless someone is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, in which case a test should be administered as soon as symptoms start. 

The new policy was implemented when students returned from spring break, and as a new sub-variant of the virus has begun to spread. 

Previously, at-home tests were distributed to students who had been in close contact with someone at school who had tested positive for COVID-19. They were also distributed before breaks so students could self-test before returning to school. 

The DOE stated that vaccination remains the best tool in the fight against the COVID-19 and is urging students to get vaccinated. 

“Cases don’t lead to high hospitalization rates, so it’s not as important to distribute at-home tests, but it’s still good to test yourself because COVID can mutate at any time,” said WJPS freshman Jin Jin Baldwin.

WJPS sophomore Ezri Munoz said, “It’s nice for the school to distribute at-home take-home tests, and it will be safe for the students and staff if they test weekly, to ensure they’re not positive.”