Additional Layer of Protection

The United States Food and Drug Administration approved a second booster shot for the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines for any people that are over the age of 50.

The requirement for this second booster is that it can only be injected after four months after the first booster. According to the FDA agency, the shot is designed to provide more protection against serious illness and hospitalization from COVID-19. 

The FDA authorized the second Pfizer booster shot for people 12 and older who have a compromised and weakened immune system. On the other hand, the Moderna second booster is only given to such individuals who are 18 years old or older. 

The authorization comes amid concerns as some scientists have expressed problems about the highly contagious BA.2 Omicron variant, which has already led to new peaks in confirmed cases in several countries according to the World Health Organization.

“I think the old people should take the second booster shot, because it’s going to keep them safe, and for the one who are immunocompromised they can have an extra protection,” said WJPS junior, Thekli Chronis. 

Raengel Farmer, a WJPS freshman, stated, “I don’t think the booster shot really needs to be taken, because the pandemic is now stabilized, but it is also fine for the one who wants to take it.”

Elderly man and woman sitting on a syringe and copy space on top. Vaccination concept” by focusonmore.com is marked with CC BY 2.0