Planning for Success

In high school, there are specific courses that teach students about different topics that prepare them for college and success after high school.

WJPS assistant principal Mr. Petrotta said, “One of the missions of our school is to prepare students to be participants in a global democracy.”

At WJPS, senior students take economics during term one and government during term two.  Both of which are taught by Mr. Mengani.

“I choose to focus on the financial literacy part. Economics is geared to helping us be financially successful,” said Mengani.  

Economics is meant to teach students how to manage their money, balance a checkbook, save money, invest, and be financially literate/ responsible.

WJPS senior Naomi Long said, “Economics allows us to prepare for real work. It teaches how to manage our money and not to fall into a loophole that can land us in severe debt.”

Additionally, the participation in government class teaches students about civil liberties, voting, elections, political parties and more.  “The only way to intelligently participate in politics is to know how it works,” added Mengani.

While economics and government are both required classes for graduation, College Now is optional.  The College Now programs allow students to get college credit for various courses offered throughout the year (fall, spring and summer semesters) at Queens College and Queensborough Community College.  

Furthermore, Long said, “These are classes that will prepare us for the  world outside of school and give us skills and teachings that may change but not go away.”

Petrotta added, “The College Now classes allow our students to have real-world college experience in high school.”