A New Space Race

Lasting 20 years, the Space Race between the United States and the Soviet Union stemmed after World War Two; a competition to see which nation had the most advanced technology for exploration in space.  Since then, space exploration has been very popular while also challenging.

WJPS social studies teacher, Mr. Tesler said, “Sometimes the competition is more aggressive than others and competition could also escalate or defuse conflict.”

Over the past few months, there has been a great deal of attention on Jeff Bezos and Richard Branson, who both participated in space missions.  From government-funded agencies to billionaires, many are seizing the opportunity to not only learn more about space, but build the most advanced technology.

WJPS Social Studies teacher Mr. Gembara said, “There is innovation because people want to make better tools for war.  I want to see innovation to just be for mankind.”

In recent headlines, there has been a spotlight on China’s advancements in space exploration. China is working on its own space station, as they are not a partner with the International Space Station (ISS).

Additionally Mr. Gembara added, “I think space is better explored as one humanity rather than individual nations or companies so that we can share the information we gain and share the success.”