Windows 10’s Insecurity Concerns

The current most-used PC operating system, Microsoft’s Windows 10 has recently suffered a security issue.

The flaw found related to Windows’ software security check, which could be bypassed to allow the spread of malware. This issue allowed creators of malware to sign it as trusted by Microsoft, which may allow for remote control of the infected PC depending on what type of virus it is.

This issue was originally discovered by the National Security Agency, which had informed Microsoft about the issue. The NSA had once used a flaw like this to create a hacking tool that it lost control of, leading to it being fixed,

This now brings up the question of how secure Windows 10 is. In 2019, Windows had suffered issues with its Windows Defender Antivirus due to updates that had the unintended effect of crippling the software. 

WJPS junior Joon Park said, “For a software that’s been released for so long, it’s hard to believe that such issues can come up.” 

Senior Ethan Garro said, “Using the Internet can already be difficult when you use third-party websites, but knowing that your operating system can be compromised is threatening on a whole new level, mainly relating to how this issue can affect students.”