Legal drinking should be lowered to age eighteen

by Rebecca Costanza, junior opinion editor

The legal drinking age should be lowered to 18 because teens should be trusted to make their own decision about alcohol and consumption. Picture drawn Helena Yeung.

Alcohol can be used amongst people for a lot of reasons; anxiety, depression, rebellion, sadness, boredom and many more. The legal drinking age is currently 21, however it should be lowered to 18.

Many teens partake in underage drinking, which is considered to be breaking the law. Some would say that the solution to this is to simply lower the legal drinking age.

“I don’t agree that the legal drinking age should be lowered to 18 because there are enough problems with drinking and driving. At least at the age of twenty-one it makes it a little harder for teens to drink and drive. Statistically the rate of drinking and driving went down when they raised the age from 18 to 21,” geometry teacher Mrs. Johnson said.

Being a rebel at the time may be cool, but the consequences are not. Dying in a car accident and killing others while being under the influence is a mess people don’t want to clean up.

Many teens argue that if the age for voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be 18. At the age of 18 people are considered an adult anyway, so they should be able to drink then.

“I believe that the legal drinking age should be lowered. If we are able to fight for our country then we should be responsible enough to drink,”  junior Daniella Bohan says.

The United States should lower the legal drinking age from 21 to 18. People are adults at the age of 18 and should be trusted to make their own decision about alcohol consumption. Lowering the drinking age can stop many teens from breaking the law. If parents teach their children at a young age to drink in moderation, they would be less likely to drink and drive. If the legal drinking age is lowered, teens will be able to drink in safer environments such as a restaurant instead of a restricted house party.