Celebrating with Pi

Pi day occurs every March 14, but this year it was a special Pi day because the first eight numbers of PI occurred in one day. This phenomenon only occurs once every 100 years, so WJPS students and faculty decided it was time to celebrate. Student played and experienced little activities and games, then afterwards were allowed to eat different flavors of pie ranging from Apple to Cherry. Photo from public domain.

by Jaclyn Thompson, junior news editor

High School students celebrated their first annual Pi day celebration. On 3.14.15 at 9:26, the first eight numbers of pi will be in one day. This event occurs only every 100 years.

“We would like to include the whole school next time around. I hope that we can add some kind of pi-day celebration to the traditions at WJPS, but I would like to work on the format and how it is executed,” math teacher Mrs. Apeler said.

Celebrations went on Friday, the day before the official Pi day. High school students participated in math related activities and ate pie.

These events occurred during 7th and 8th period of the school day. Students played activities such as mono-pi-ly, pi-quest, memorizing as many numbers of pi as one can, and using circular objects such as Nilla cookies and oreos to find the circumference.

“I thought it was cool because instead of class we had different games we can play and instead of 8th period, I ate pie. Can’t beat that,” junior Rafael Madera said.