NFL Draft Recap
NFL Draft Recap
May 17, 2024
Eternal Sunshine
Eternal Sunshine
May 16, 2024
FAFSA Turmoil
FAFSA Turmoil
May 14, 2024

The Rise of Skywalker Movie Review: Completion of the Saga (SPOILERS)

Last month saw the completion of the Star Wars sequel trilogy with the release of the final installment, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

The movie presented the audience with impressive cinematographic scenes and heart-wrenching, occasionally over-sentimental dialogues that were able to capture the emotions that die-hard fans have felt over the past few years while watching the sequels. 

The intense personality developments of characters like Rey and Kylo Ren are incredibly dramatic as to be expected from such an anticipated finale to an iconic saga. Specifically, the growth of these two characters is one of the highlights of the entire film. 

When Rey accidentally destroys the First Order transport on Pasaana using force lightning, and is later revealed to be Palpatine’s granddaughter by Kylo ren, some may start to wonder if she could join the First Order and abandon the Resistance. In comparison, the scene with Kylo Ren on Kef Bir where Rey injures Kylo and heals him is the turning point of his character arc. 

Not to mention, when Han Solo appears soon after as a force ghost to talk to him as Ben, not Kylo, it reinforces the change in character that happened a few seconds ago. 

However, a small complaint that I, and many other fans online, have relates to the few unnecessary additions of redundant character introductions and plot holes. For instance, it would definitely be interesting to find out more about Poe and Zorii’s past, and knowing Disney, one might expect that this was added to The Rise of Skywalker to possibly initiate a side-story that will be explained in depth through a movie or a book.

Overall, I give The Rise of Skywalker a 4.5 star rating out of 5. Although there are some unexplainable events that simply happen, that can easily be disregarded by the captivating storyline. There’s a lot to wrap your head around, but that’s what draws viewers in to The Rise of Skywalker

Every few minutes, there’s a shocking revelation that catches the audience by surprise, and this element of stupefaction is what adds the familiar Star Wars feeling to the movie.