NFL Draft Recap
NFL Draft Recap
May 17, 2024
Eternal Sunshine
Eternal Sunshine
May 16, 2024
FAFSA Turmoil
FAFSA Turmoil
May 14, 2024

Retro Music: The New Cool

Retro Music: The New Cool

Music fills us with joy and relaxation. There are various types of music, but this focus is on contemporary and retro. 

Retro music is much better than contemporary. It expresses the true talents of singers and songwriters rather than using autotune to fix the singer’s voice.

Autotune, invented in 1997, is utilized by many contemporary singers. It is used to amplify the singer’s voice and correct the pitch. 

The first song where Autotune was implemented was in “Believe” by Cher. Autotune is a method of cheating into the music industry and should not be considered as a method of music production.

Music should be unfiltered and should not hide the singer’s true voice and talent. 

WJPS 12th grader, Matthew Batista, said, “Old music most definitely. I’m into classical rock. The lyrics aren’t about drugs and gangs.”

Retro songs, such as Modern Talking’s “Brother Louie” express the singer’s feelings. Contemporary songs do not fully express the singer’s feelings as much as the retro songs do.

Some like music from different periods such as WJPS 10th grader, Elizabeth Hernandez who said, “I like both. I prefer old music. There is meaning behind the lyrics. There are not just senseless words. I like new music because it’s catchy.”

WJPS 10th grader, Joseph Arellano, said, “Older music. It’s so much more simple. Most of the songs are slow rhythm. The songs actually have meaning.” 

Retro music is also much better than new music because it enhances the music’s creativity.  

Contemporary music eliminates much of the song’s creativity. The lack of creativity makes contemporary songs sound too similar.