Two Struggling Teams Face Off: Atlantic Division Showdown

by Jordan Fickling, staff reporter

Here are the stats at the conclusion of the game. Notice the scores of Iman Shumpert and Amare Stoudemire who both helped win the game with their impressive performance.

Atlantic division rivals the Knicks and the Nets squared off. The Knicks and the Nets both are going through rough starts and have low records in the Eastern Conference Standings.

Both New York and Brooklyn needed a win and ultimately, it was the Knicks who picked up a lopsided win with the score ending at 113-83.

This win snapped the Knick’s nine-game losing streak and it was the worst loss the Brooklyn Nets suffered at home this season.

“I was surprised with their field goal percentage. It improved so much from everyone which lead them to their victory,” freshman Mike Hua said.

Though Tyson Chandler was still injured for the Knicks, many different players stepped up to help their leading scorer Carmelo Anthony offensively.

“I think it wasn’t just one player that stepped up offensively, I think it was the whole team. Amare played better on both offense and defense and J.R and Shumpert got more shots in,” senior Peter Ikariou said.

Brooklyn’s struggle was visible as two of their star scorers and players were injured, these two players being point guard  Deron Williams and small forward Paul Pierce. As a result, the Nets were found trailing throughout the whole fourth quarter.

Though this is only round one, the Knicks delivered  the first blow in this rivalry between two teams representing the same state.

“I think this victory over Brooklyn won’t lead to the Knicks having a winning streak. Their victories have been over weaker teams and there are many teams stronger than them on the horizon,” assistant Principal Mr. Jurman said.