Cuomo v. Nixon battle in the Empire State

By: Nicholas Scotchie, Political Reporter

In a bout that sounds like an alternative 1970s presidential election, incumbent Governor Andrew Cuomo is facing a challenge in the Democratic Party primary from actress Cynthia Nixon.  

Cuomo’s governorship has been marked by a lowering of taxes and cutting the deficit, as well as pushing through marriage equality and increasing gun restrictions. However, Cuomo has been recently embroiled in controversy surrounding corruption within his administration along with apathy towards the New York City subway system.

Nixon is running against Cuomo on an anti-corruption and anti-Albany campaign, favoring more progressive proposals such as universal health care, giving public unions the right to strike, and legalizing marijuana. Nixon has taken a populist tone, portraying herself as standing up for working families against the political and economic elite.

Cuomo has responded by focusing on his opposition to the immigration policies of President Donald Trump as well as portraying Nixon as a hypocrite due to her ties to former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Nixon has struck back by portraying Cuomo as a liar that failed to end corruption in Albany and using the controversy that surrounded Cuomo’s decision to build a new bridge dedicated to his father, the late Governor Mario Cuomo.