Lending a hand to Hurricane Sandy victims

by Ardhys De Leon, staff reporter

“I plan to donate [canned goods] because people need it and it’s [important] to donate to people that have nothing,” freshman Jamie Jensen said. Photo by Ardhys De Leon
The aftermath of Hurricane Sandy is still here even though NYC seemed to be back in order-gas lines are no longer around the block and most areas have power. 30 thousand people have lost everything and are still seeking help. Leadership groups at school are working to find ways to provide aid to the victims of this natural disaster.

The National Honor Society (NHS) is holding a canned food drive for those affected by Sandy. The drive will begin Monday December 19th until the end of December. There will be a box by the stairs on the third floor in which students can drop off their canned goods. Students are encouraged to bring canned vegetables, mac and cheese, peanut butter, cereal, canned fruit and soup.

“I think it’s important for the students body to be aware that a small gesture on their part can make a big impact on someone less fortunate,” NHS advisor Mrs. Paplow said.

There will also be a coat drive sponsored by the NHS through the month of January.  This drive will consist of any winter attire that is in good condition such as coats, gloves, scarves and sweaters.

“I think the canned food drive and the coat drive [are a] good way to help the victims of Hurricane Sandy because thousands of people on the East Coast were hit hard. By hosting these fundraisers, our school will be able to take part of this devastating event,” sophomore and NHS’ Vice President Alice Mungyu said.

Student government, along with the student ambassadors and the student council are holding a supply drive to help a school affected in the Rockaways. Two student representatives will get in contact with the administration of the school and create a list of the supplies needed. The date for this meeting is yet to be determined.

“In my opinion, I feel that it is extremely important that our school especially gets involved in [this effort] because our school should be a great influence to other schools. Another important reason would be because we are helping people and that means that as a school, we are reliable to other schools in need,” sophomore Simone Irish said.