NFL Draft Recap
NFL Draft Recap
May 17, 2024
Eternal Sunshine
Eternal Sunshine
May 16, 2024
FAFSA Turmoil
FAFSA Turmoil
May 14, 2024

Miles away from home

by Giorgina Orofino, news editor

It is 78 degrees. The wind is slowly blowing and the sun is beginning to set. The sky is a mist of pink, orange and yellow. It’s the outdoors, there might be trees all over the place but miles away from home is the best place to get a front row view of the stars.

An escape from the city to spend some quality time with nature is what could be considered a stress reliever for many. New York City is surrounded by some of the region’s most outstanding natural resources, all within an hour or two by car, according to newyork.cbslocal.com. Whether a quick escape to the beach or woods, a get away from New York is a lot closer than one may think.

What makes a good campsite

When campers are searching for the perfect campsite, there are a few things they should keep in mind. According to outdoor.com, they should look for flat land and an absence of rocks. Another reasonable choice is a place with tightly packed soil.

Campers must also check the placement of trees and bushes. A bush behind the tent can help prevent heavy wind. Trees above the tent can be risky because there could be loose branches. A final piece of advice is to look for a spot that has a lot of visual space. It could be hard to enjoy a relaxing trip if there is another group too nearby.

“I’ve gone camping all over the NY Upstate area. What I enjoy in a campsite is that it’s private, flat and quiet. I love spending the entire day outside and having a campfire at night. It’s so peaceful and relaxing to go camping,” science teacher, Ms. Cimini said.

Camping and its dangers

Although camping may be beautiful, there are creatures that campers may encounter; things could get ugly from there. Depending where one goes camping, they may or may not face wild animals. However, there are a few rules to keep these encounters to a minimum, according to ezinearticles.com.

If there is a dead animal, do not approach it. One may not be sure if it was killed by a larger animal or was killed by a disease that could be contagious. To not come face to face with coyotes, cougars and bears, do not leave food out where these animals can see it or smell it. Sweet smelling perfumes or colognes could also be mistaken as food by these animals.

“I’ve been camping once when I was little, I don’t remember too much but I know my parents didn’t want to camp in a tent because they were scared of racoons coming too close to our campsite,” senior Ashley Urena said.

Camping can be fun if one chooses the right place and follows the correct precautions.

Campsites around NY

• Lake George Escape
  • Cozy Hills
  • Blue Mountain
  • Yogi Bear
  • Hiller Hills