Omicron BA.2 Subvariant

Omicron is the dominant variant of COVID-19 in New York City, with subvariant BA.2 being called the “stealth” variant and accounting for most cases, according to nyc.gov. The BA.2 subvariant has more growth advantages than BA.1, meaning it spreads faster as it is more difficult to track.

CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said that although cases are “dropping dramatically,” there is still cause for concern. The U.S. Federal Drug Administration said the current vaccine did not work as effectively against the BA.2 subvariant as it did others, although a booster shot paired with two preliminary doses can help protect against most serious outcomes of the virus, including subvariant BA.2. 

Data is now showing that previous infection with the BA.1 subvariant can decrease the likelihood of reinfection with BA.2.

The World Health Organization states that the BA.2 subvariant needs to continue to be monitored, as well as different Omicron subvariants that are being analyzed and compared. 

“I don’t think people should still pay attention to it, because people have more important things to do,” said Sahira Haq, a WJPS sophomore.

WJPS freshman Kenneth Kraljic said, “I think that people should continue to pay attention to the new epidemic situations since it can be important at times and should not be forgotten.” 

covid-19” by Prachatai is marked with CC BY-NC-ND 2.0.