Favorite Laptops

Favorite+Laptops

Introducing more technology to New York City schools has been a relatively newer feature. However, since the outbreak of COVID-19 in 2020, students have had to switch to remote learning on laptops, computers or iPads.

As a result of over one and a half years of being at home, many students got used to relying on only technology, so an immediate switch back to none or very few laptops was difficult. Before the pandemic, most students used paper and a writing utensil to take notes and do classwork.

Occasionally, students would be given laptops or computers for specific work and group projects, but few students in WJPS had their own personal laptops or tablet in school. Upon returning, they were permitted to bring personal devices, but school computers were still given to those who needed them.

There have been various complaints about the state of the school laptops, mainly how well they work, the WiFi not functioning, and issues with signing in. Unfortunately, these new laptops also block far more features than they used to, so, understandably, some students feel angry about them.

While you don’t want students being distracted, blocking everything takes all the fun out of school, particularly when a student has a free period, such as lunch, to play games. As a result, students can no longer enjoy their free time, leading to more frustration and less motivation to work in classes.

Some students have also found that they prefer a specific brand of laptop, whether this be a personal laptop or an in-school laptop.

WJPS senior Matteus Schmelke, said, “My favorite brand of laptop is the Apple laptop. I find they have the best user interface and the least tech problems. The school laptops could be better. They’re clunky, and the interface isn’t great, but I appreciate that they’re there.”

WJPS senior Amber Matos said, “The school laptops stink, and I think Apple laptops are the best.”

Overall, while most students find the school laptops useful, they prefer the convenience and reliability of their own laptops.