The 2021 MLB World Series Recap

The 2021 MLB World Series Recap

1995 was the last time the Atlanta Braves won the World Series and in 2021 they are back on top. 

The momentum seemed to be shifting when they had a title-clinching opportunity in game five but they blew a 4-0 lead at home. However, they showed up during game six in Houston, blowing out the Astros 7-0. 

The Braves used the home run ball to win the championship as Jorge Soler, Dansby Swanson, and Freddie Freeman all went deep. Freeman’s RBI double was the only run scored not on the long ball. 

Jorge Soler was named World Series MVP after his excellent performance, hitting three home runs throughout the series, all of which gave Atlanta the lead in the game.

Under .500 entering August, the Braves rallied to end up on top of the National League East and then in the postseason, eliminated the Milwaukee Brewers, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Houston Astros.  

“I’m surprised the Braves came out on top let alone make it to the World Series, but it was well deserved,” said Julien Prasso, a WJPS senior. 

“I’m super happy the Astros lost. I was rooting hard for the Braves. I’m also not going to lie when I say I only watched game six. I was super turned off by the Astros being in the World Series,” said Mr. Reff, a Spanish teacher at WJPS. 

The Atlanta Braves overcame adversity, for instance, losing star outfielder Ronald Acuna Jr. to a season-ending injury, so they certainly earned this championship they will remember forever.  

Photo: “2005 World Series Trophy” by George Stopka is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0