The Start Of Black Friday Sales

As Black Friday approaches, stores such as Walmart, Target, Macy’s, and more are starting early Black Friday sales. 

Walmart was the first store to announce they would be starting early Black Friday sales. This will be the retailer’s second annual “Black Friday Deals for Days” event, which includes major sales and deals for all shoppers as well as bonus benefits for Walmart+ members. 

Similar to Walmart, stores joining in have started holding limited time sale guarantees and deals for both in-store and online shoppers. 

While Black Friday is known for its limited time deals, the day is also known for the overcrowding of stores, long waiting lines, and competition. This year’s Black Friday sparks anxiety in some customers and employees as more stores are reopening and new exclusive products are being released and demanded during the pandemic. 

WJPS junior Claudio Corte said, “I think this is really good for both the people and businesses. The deals for Black Friday are great and I do look forward to it, but the accumulation of so many people in stores makes me uneasy since COVID is still active.”

WJPS teacher Ms. Kontos said, “Black Friday sales help kick off the holiday season, but it can also cause a lot of anxiety for people to feel like this is the only day to shop and save money. I generally do not shop on Black Friday because I want to avoid the long lines and overcrowded stores. I feel like if it works for people and they don’t mind all the commotion then it can save them some money since businesses use this as a way to get more shoppers. I personally will wait for Cyber Monday where I can do my shopping online.”
“Black Friday” by Powhusku is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0