When Things Get Ruff

By: Valerie Hoetzel; Opinion Reporter 

Tests, boom! Drama, boom! College, pow! What doesn’t stress the minds of the students at WJPS? 

A year and a half without friends or social interaction can feel isolating and anxiety-inducing. School can be an escape from home life as much as a new battlefield of academic stress.

Although teachers have done their best to welcome students back, there might be another way to bring up morale among the WJPS student body, a pet. 

For example, a dog doesn’t care if you failed a test. A dog doesn’t care if you haven’t been as motivated lately. It loves you without exceptions and that is enough to make anyone’s day better.

It’s been proven to help soothe students and help with anxiety. According to educational psychologist Christine Grove and senior lecturer Linda Henderson, research on therapy dogs in school settings have shown benefits such as, “decreases in learner anxiety behaviours resulting in improved learning outcomes, such as increases in reading and writing levels.”

So if it can help take away those exam jitters, it’ll help you feel better for that test, or whatever challenge school throws your way. Less anxiety gives students the chance to perform with mental clarity which sets them up for academic success.

Mr. VanDeurs, a WJPS teacher, said, “Yeah, I think it depends on which type of pet. I’ve had a snake and it’s been an enjoyable experience!” 

Jenny Chen, WJPS senior said, “Petting animals feels relaxing and will help students feel more in the mood for school. It can also bring students together.”  

The love and joy pets bring would make for a more peaceful and flourishing environment at WJPS. 

So when things get “ruff”, you can count on pets to be there, rain or shine.