No-Hitters in the 2021 MLB Season

In 2021, baseball history comes in the form of one big zero. The reason for this is that there have been six no-hitters thrown up to this point in the MLB season, which is close to shattering the record for the most thrown in a season.

The San Diego Padres’ Joe Musgrove kicked off the no-hitter roller coaster on April 9th against the Texas Rangers. Chicago White Sox starter Carlos Rodon no-hit the team’s division rival the Cleveland Indians on April 14th.

Baltimore Orioles’ John Means continued the trend versus the Seattle Mariners on May 5th. On May 7th, Cleveland got no-hit for the second time by Cincinnati Reds’ Wade Miley.

Seattle got no-hit for the second time by Detroit Tigers’ Spencer Turnbull on May 18th. On the very next night, Texas got no-hit a second time by New York Yankees righthander Corey Kluber.

The record in the modern era for the most no-hitters in a single MLB season is seven, while the all-time record is eight. It’s the first time in league history that three teams have been no-hit twice in a season: the Indians, the Mariners, and the Rangers.

The number of reasons why there have been so many no-hitters this early in the season can range from changes to the baseball, offensive ideologies, and pitchers exhibiting more speed and movement,

“I think if the no-hitters continue at this rapid pace, baseball will be unwatchable. The new wave of sports is all about offense and this is what drives fans. Pitching is great, but fans crave the swing of the bat,” said Mr. Maroney, a physical education teacher at WJPS.

“I think that it is not healthy for the future of baseball. The pitchers are not the problem, it is the hitters. I think hitters need to change their approach at the plate, and the game needs to get back to generating hits, and less worrying about launch angle,” said Mr. Reff, a Spanish teacher at WJPS.

The 2021 MLB season might just be the year we see a record-breaking number of no-hitters.

Photo: “Commemoration of Clayton Kershaw No-Hitter, Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, California” by Ken Lund is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0