COVID-19 Affecting Students

By Emily Lin, Community Writer

In 2020, the virus known as “COVID-19” spread across the world and affected lives as we know it, in New York City. The virus forced citizens to quarantine to make sure the pandemic didn’t spread any further.

This affected the New York City Department of Education with many changes for students in blended and remote learning. Some find the new system to be difficult, by participating in online meetings, showing their faces, and getting distracted.

Even students from our own school, World Journalism Preparatory, have found it more difficult having online classes, then going in for class. “I would prefer in school learning. I like interaction with friends and teachers, though I’m okay with doing a mix until it’s safe. I’d like to be somewhat normal by the end of senior year,” said WJPS junior Brooke Goldberg.

Another WJPS junior Akiah James has been having some issues of her own “online school has been..it has been. I don’t have much motivation to really do my work other than to not fail.”

Some changes the students have thought of for the Department of Education to improve on is being more honest, “I feel like they were severely disorganized and had no clue what they were doing half the time. There was almost no point to reopening,” said Goldberg.

“Inscription – coronavirus school is closed” by wuestenigel is licensed under CC BY 2.0