NYC Schools Reopening During A Pandemic

Throughout the months of August and September Governor Andrew Cuomo and Mayor Bill de Blasio were going back and forth on the reopening plans for the upcoming 2020-2021 school year.

It wasn’t until many delays, that NYC public schools finally opened up. Students were able to return remotely, or hybrid, starting on October 1st at WJPS.

Some students, including me, believe that their remote learning experience has been pretty mediocre. 

WJPS junior Nahbeelah Mohibi said, “the workload the teachers are giving us is too much to the point where we aren’t even learning, just submitting.”

While some students may be stressed, teachers of course are also the ones who are putting in just as much or even more work during these times. 

WJPS health and physical education teacher, Ms. Smith, said she “really worked hard this year to provide ways for her students to participate in a variety of physical activities on their own and to try to keep them motivated.”

While of course, everyone’s opinion on schools reopening varies from person to person, certain things are improving. Before the pandemic, Ms.Smith notes that some students did not have

access to technology at home, but since then students have been provided with technology and in some cases even Internet availability that was previously unattainable. 

This is most certainly a huge improvement, some changes may be minor, while others may be enormous, it’s really just important as a community during times like these, to stay connected and up to date. 

“Face mask with colorful COVID-19 text on a desk in a child’s room” by Ivan Radic is licensed under CC BY 2.0