Masks: Why the Controversy?

Masks have wriggled their way in as a part of our daily outfit. It’s highly suggested that you don’t leave home without it, or you get weird looks. 

Despite governmental and medical reasons, people all over America have made this simple request an opening for rebellion. While many adhere to the call for masks, others strongly oppose. 

President Trump opposed masks throughout the increasing pandemic situation in early April. He stated, “The C.D.C. is advising the use of nonmedical cloth face covering as an additional voluntary public health measure. So it’s voluntary. You don’t have to do it. They suggested for a period of time, but this is voluntary. I don’t think I’m going to be doing it.” 

A large part of the population followed that command. Some Americans are complaining that masks restrict breathing. That can be harmful for elderly and kids who cannot easily brush it off. 

Even so, the benefits of masks seem to outweigh the disadvantages. Statistics show that COVID-19 cases declined as more people wore masks. It is scientifically proven to reduce the risk of spreading the virus. Hence, the plea for protection. Please, wear a mask.

“Covid-19 handmade face mask” by Olgierd (3rd account) is licensed under CC BY 2.0