Should standardized tests be given online?

Standardized tests such as the SAT and PSAT have been done on paper for years even with the integration of technology in schools with the introduction of a new laptop and iPad carts for students to freely use. So should standardized tests be done online or would it be more beneficial to continue doing these tests on paper? 

Introducing more online tests would require time to set up and more regulations on school devices to ensure that students don’t cheat on their assessments. More checkups on laptops and iPads would also be required to make sure these devices are fully operational for use.

Online tests would be able to help students with disabilities or injuries take their tests with less difficulty and online tests wouldn’t require extra resources like writing utensils and extra paper to write things down.

WJPS sophomore Jubilation Yeh said, “I feel that it would be better for these tests to be online because it could be a lot more organized then taking it on paper because I wouldn’t have to flip through papers.” 

WJPS junior Zoe Weissman, on the other hand, said “I think paper because if you’re staring at a screen for three hours it can hurt your eyes.”

Regardless of whether standardized tests taken online are better for students, online resources in schools have been and are still on the rise.