CoolMathGames at risk?

Crystal Ian, Technology Reporter

The well-known computer software, Adobe Flash Player will no longer be supported. With this being announced in 2017, the software will be disabled in late 2020, with popular browsers like Google Chrome and Firefox no longer supporting the plugin before the discontinuation of the program. 

When it comes to what could happen to websites, some Flash-based sites, like CoolMathGames, might not be affected. Since Adobe Flash is a separate plug-in for your browser, websites can, and most likely will be replaced with HTML5, which is specifically for your browser use. 

The new alternative, HTML5, isn’t better but it will allow access to the websites that ran on Flash. The rumor of the beloved CoolMathGames shutting down is a hoax due to the website being backed up with HTML5. This is the savior of the Flash game websites like CoolMathGames and others.

Flash being disabled later this year might enrage some people. WJPS Senior, Brandon Levy said, “I think that it’s annoying that it’s gonna be disabled, a lot of older games and elements run on Flash, and when the flash is disabled, a large part of internet history will be lost.” 

With Flash being disabled, this has caused famous Flash-game based sites to be threatened with a shutdown.