NFL Draft Recap
NFL Draft Recap
May 17, 2024
Eternal Sunshine
Eternal Sunshine
May 16, 2024
FAFSA Turmoil
FAFSA Turmoil
May 14, 2024

Sanders, Buttigieg Declare Victory in Disorderly Iowa Finish

After an unprecedented delay, the first contest of the 2020 Democratic presidential primaries has concluded. Within the messy results, both Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Senator Bernie Sanders claim victory in the Iowa caucus.  

Buttigieg, relying on his midwestern background and centrist appeal, was able to win the votes of white moderates, older voters, and college graduates. Buttigieg performed particularly well in rural areas and small towns, including the suburbs surrounding Des Moines. Buttigieg banked his campaign on a good showing in Iowa, and with a virtual tie for first place, the millennial magistrate can prepare for the rest of the February contests. 

Meanwhile, Sanders entered Monday night riding high in state-wide polling. He proved he could retain his 2016 coalition by winning the popular vote. Sander’s populist rhetoric made him the first choice among liberals, young voters, and the working class. A factor that played in Sander’s favor was his unexpected dominance of non-white voters, being buoyed by satellite primaries that featured heavy Latino and Muslim turnout. 

For others, Iowa proved a mixed bag. Senator Elizabeth Warren was able to lock up third place after stumbling in prior weeks. Former Vice President Joe Biden, the national front runner, came in a disappointing fourth place, potentially wounding his campaign. Senator Amy Klobuchar hoped for a breakthrough in the Hawkeye state, but a fifth place finish may not do the trick. 

However, even as both Sanders and Buttigieg try to spin the results for the upcoming New Hampshire primary, the results are riddled with possible errors and the Sanders campaign has called for a partial recanvass. With the two frontrunners in a dead heat, the race has not been called and may not be in the foreseeable future.