NFL Draft Recap
NFL Draft Recap
May 17, 2024
Eternal Sunshine
Eternal Sunshine
May 16, 2024
FAFSA Turmoil
FAFSA Turmoil
May 14, 2024

MTA NYC Subway Madness

By: Oscar Berrios, Opinion News

“I absolutely hate the MTA. The service is atrocious and always delayed. I’m paying almost $120 a month for a monthly unlimited MetroCard and get less than mediocre service. The MTA needs serious updates, and it needs to happen, like, tomorrow.” said Vincenzo Pesciotti, a daily customer of the MTA’s subways and buses. 

MTA stands for Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which moves New Yorkers to and from their destinations around the clock 365 days a year. 

“I take the MTA bus almost daily. I’m familiar with the frequent delays and unreliable service, so I plan ahead and leave an hour earlier than I should. Although I’ve gotten used to it, it doesn’t make it okay for me to pay a fare for unpredictable delays and hold ups. If the MTA was more reliable I wouldn’t need to wake up so early, and would get a little more sleep in the morning, and that would help my under eye bags immensely.” chuckled John Bowne High School senior Kassandra Marquez. 

World Journalism Preparatory School alumni, Vasili Christakos, has also experienced inadequate service with MTA New York City buses. 

“I always have problems with the MTA buses. It’s unacceptable and they need to be fixed soon. It’s so annoying having to pay $2.75 per ride just to step onto a bus that’s 30 minutes late. I think that the MTA takes advantage of the fact that they’re the only major transit system in New York and don’t really care what the public has to say because at the end of the day, what are we going to do about it, right? This is why I’m slowly saving up for my own car, I’m fed up.” he stated. 

The MTA’s motto is “Improving… non-stop” but a great number of New Yorkers beg to differ, myself included. Daily MTA customers pay an exorbitant amount of money on fares yearly just  to get deficient service almost everyday. Perhaps the MTA should stop investing in the useless remodeling of stations, and first focus on providing the best service they possibly can to the city that never sleeps. We are paying, after all.