Winter 2019 Follow Up: Climate Conditions Still An Issue

Previously, in the initial months of the 2018-2019 school year, World Journalism Preparatory School was undergoing some temperature issues. Seeing as the beginning months of the school year are typically warm, multiple WJPS classrooms were experiencing high temperatures, and neglected functional air conditioning.

“It’s so hot. I can’t even focus on my school work half the time, I’m always sweating,” stated junior Yamani Thomas, in the beginning of the school year.

As of late, seeing as we are towards the end of winter, temperatures, while still not spring weather, are beginning to warm up. However, on some days that the temperature drops significantly, WJPS classrooms are beginning to experience some odd climates again; most prevalent: the cold.

A multitude of students and staff can be spotted sporting sweaters, cardigans, scarfs, and even full-on coats. Some even disregard the uniform policy, but who could blame them when the classrooms are close to 40 degrees?

“My room has been very, very cold. My situation is a bit different, it’s usually unbearably hot to the point we’re all sweating, but nowadays it’s extremely cold. I’m definitely a special case in the building,” said Ms. Mills, WJPS English teacher.

An increasing number of students have reported noticing the unusually low temperatures across the building. Some are extremely annoyed by this, and find it difficult to concentrate.

“It’s way too cold, it doesn’t even feel like we’re indoors. It’s just as cold outside as it is in the school. The climate is so bipolar. I can’t even do my work in peace, we need to be comfortable!” demanded seventh grader, Gia Papavassiliou.

Perhaps the school should invest in some proper heating for the winter, and efficient air conditioning for the spring and summer. It’s a popular belief that the cold aids students in remaining awake and alert. However, many students are struggling to work comfortably in their cold classrooms. There’s an urgent need for efficient climate control in the building, and it needs to happen now.