Is Off And Away Throughout The Day Really Working?

“Off and away throughout the day” is the World Journalism Preparatory School’s motto on cell phone use during the instructional school day.

However, how effective is this policy truly? Although students are told that their cellphones are to remain off and in their lockers for the duration of the day, but this is seldom what happens.

In fact, the majority of student’s cell phones, especially in high school are usually in their possession, and powered on as well.

“The off and away throughout the day policy is not working. I see people on their phones all the time. I don’t think it should be a policy, because allowing students to have their phones on them could be helpful. For example, we could check our emails, Google classroom, and PupilPath. These are programs that most, if not all of our teachers use, and we should have access to them throughout the day,” said WJPS junior, Amelia Baffo.

“I think the policy was a good idea at first. Many kids followed through with it, but as we transitioned into high school we became more and more dependent on our phones because of the advancements in technology that took, and continue, to take place. I believe that this policy will not work, no matter what. We live in a generation surrounded by electronics 24/7, and to be off and away from it throughout the day is like losing a hand,” said junior student, Justine Cora.

Perhaps WJPS and other schools across the nation should assimilate 21st century technology, and accept that there is no going back to the “pen and paper” era.

Computers, smart watches, and smartphones are here to stay, and the many students agree that educational institutes should begin to embrace this, find a way to compromise, and incorporate these devices into the classroom in order to modernize the learning experience.