NHS Hosts It’s Second Annual Food Drive

by Nicole Valencia and Alice Mungyu, staff reporters

The results of the second annual food drive hosted by the National Honor Society was a success. These boxes of non-perishable goods are going to the food bank of New York to help out the people in need during the holidays. Photo taken by Nicole Valencia.

National Honor Society partnered up with the Food Bank for New York City in their Students Against Hunger campaign.

“The food drive is always a great cause because it helps those that have no food. Especially when it comes time for the holidays, it is important that we help out those less unfortunate,” junior from the National Honor Society Jason Chen said.

This is the second year that the National Honor Society has taken part in the drive since the club’s official club inception in the 2010-11 school year. Prior to that, members were simply inaugurated into the society, but it was not as community and service driven as it is now.

According to The Food Bank for New York City,  statistics show that over 90% of children receiving a free or reduced lunch rate at school are at risk of not eating again that day.

The food drive ran until Friday, December 13th. All contributions were greatly appreciated. Drop off sites were located in the bins by the elevator as well as inside Ms. Paplow’s room (Room 324 the office next to Mr. Lumetta’s office).

“I was hoping for a better turnout for the food drive,” National Honor Society Advisor Ms. Paplow said. “Our goal was 600 but as of today we only collected 308.”

The following items are the products which the NYC Food Bank had specifically asked for:

• Canned Vegetables

• Tomato Sauce

• Vegetable Soups

• Canned Fruits (in juice or light syrup)

• Dried Fruits

• 100% Fruit Juice

• Beans (Canned or Dry)

• Peanut Butter

• Nuts

• Canned Meat, Fish and stews

• Rice

• Pasta/Noodles

• Cold and Hot Cereals (grits, oatmeal, farina)

• Flour/Corn