World Journalism Preparatory School participates in College Access for All Program

This program, newly instituted in the city of New York by Mayor Bill de Blasio and the New York City Department of Education enables middle schoolers to be exposed to a college-going culture at an early age.

This early intervention is intended to promote high school, college, and life success to the next generation of leaders and workers of New York City.

According to College Access For All – Middle School, Mayor de Blasio, and the NYC Department of Education have an ambitious set of goals that ensure 80% of high schoolers will graduate on time, and will be college ready by the year 2026.

This is just one of the steps taken by the local government to work towards this goal.

World Journalism Preparatory School is actively participating in the College Access for All program. Seventh graders are visiting various CUNY colleges to get the first hand account of what a college environment is like.

College trips include a tour and discussing important steps that must be taken to secure college access and college success.

Recently, WJPS seventh graders visited CUNY Bronx Community College. Students were given a tour of the campus and taken to a studio to explore the fields of journalism and theatre in a professional environment.

“It was fun and informational. I learned a little more of the college process,” said seventh grader Vincent Bayer.

Students were also urged and informed of the multiple steps that facilitate college admission and college success. For example, during the tour, students were encouraged that upon their entry to high school they should enroll in Advanced Placement (AP) courses, College Now classes, which award college credit to high school students free of charge, and finally, extracurricular activities such as clubs and Student Government.

“It was pretty inspiring for me to enroll to college in the future,” chanted seventh grader Bryan Garcia.

“It certainly gave me more information on how to apply to college and I feel more confident taking on high school soon and knowing what will benefit me the most,” stated seventh grader Danya Ramirez.