Shooting silences the nation

by Diego Huerta, staff reporter

“Do you believe in God?” This is what Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold asked their victims before they were shot in Columbine High School.

Fear, like wildfire, is quickly spreading throughout the United States, raising more questions than ever before on our children’s safety. Unfortunately, many shootings have occurred over the last few years, from the Columbine Shooting in 1999, killing 15 people, to the most recent one in Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012, killing 28 people.

On December 14, 2012 in Newtown, Connecticut, 20 year-old Adam Lanza entered the Sandy Hook Elementary where he ended the lives of twenty students, along with six adults. He then proceeded to take his own life. He also killed his own mother before entering Sandy Hook Elementary.

On the same day of the shooting, President Obama gave his remarks on the shooting stating, “We’re going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics.”

“I was shocked and sad to hear this type of thing happen. Especially since it occurred all too often over the last few years. I think that its made people, including me, more afraid. Hopefully people will be more aware of these kinds of things and try to prevent this from happening again,” senior Kathleen Gobin said.

These heinous crimes have happened too frequently throughout the U.S, yet no one seems to know what causes these atrocious acts. Some argue that violent video games like Grand Theft Auto cause violent behavior. Others believe it’s a result of deteriorating mental health and lack of gun control. However, it is without a shred of doubt that this type violence must cease to continue.

Senior Joe Cachia said, “It is really tragic to hear what happen to all those kids in Connecticut. It shouldn’t have happened. I think this happen because of a lack of gun control.”

These kinds of shootings have shocked and raised all types questions, especially when it comes to student’s safety. More and more police and security are being placed in schools. Unlike before the average person can’t enter a school without identification. However the fear is still there with thousands of Americans.