Porgy and Bess was a success by Gabriella Yannotti, Editor in Chief

“Summertime and the livin’ is easy.” This line begins Heyward’s and Gershwin’s musical, Porgy and Bess, which drama students saw on May 2nd.

41 students took a bus into Times Square, to see a matinee showing of this production in the Richard Rodgers theater. Only students who have been in Mr. Petrotta’s drama class were given the opportunity to attend at an incredibly discounted price.
“Porgy and Bess is a timeless story,” drama teacher Mr. Petrotta said. “The music, although classical in nature, has roots in so many different genres…The show was nominated for 10 Tony Awards, including best revival of a musical. I wanted our students to experience seeing a professionally produced and artistically sound show.”

While, according to ticketmaster.com, tickets generally range from $74.75 to $210 depending on the seating, students were about to enjoy the show for $15 a ticket.

Before the show, the school got a visit from Theater Development Fund teaching artist Lisa Strum, who is a professional actress in New York City. She has appeared on television shows such as Law & Order; Special Victims Unit.

Strum led a workshop for the students who were planning to attend the show. During this workshop, students were given styles of music to embody, and characters to act out.

“We didn’t know what to expect for the workshop,” senior Annalee Manaloto said, “but it

turned out to be pretty entertaining and random.”

“I definitely would consider the trip a success,” Petrotta said. “I would absolutely love to have another Broadway trip. This was our first time and I think next time would be even better.”

View Comments (1)