Goodbye formulas, hello fun by Jayne Papa, feature editor

After all the hard work that the seniors have gone through all year in Mr. Sacher’s physics class, they are getting to go on their awaited trip to Six Flags. No more equations and formulas, it’s time to experience how fast the velocity is itself on a real rollercoaster.

“I have been to Six Flags before, and this isn’t my first time. I was scared in the beginning, but my cousin made me get on the roller coasters, so I had a good time. I am also very excited to go this time because, I will be with my friends and I can also get to learn some physics,” senior Katherine Papatheodorou said.

The Senior class will be going to the Six Flags Great Adventure amusement park located in Jackson, New Jersey. Students will get a chance to practice physics in real life.

“I use the trip as motivation to review past topics that the students have done over the year. The kids need to take videos, edit them and do voice overs to calculate the velocity of the rides at the bottom points by using energy equations and calculating the mass of the people they go up with,” Physics Teacher Mr. Sacher said.

Students have a variety of rides to choose to go on in the park. For safety issues they will be supervised by chaperones.

“I think that the way that we organize the trip with chaperones, how each person checks one another with their cellphones and meet at the fountain twice during the day to take attendance, makes the trip go smooth. There will be groups of ten kids with one chaperone each, and no student is allowed to be left alone, they need to have at least one other person with them,” added Mr. Sacher.

The Six Flags trip is set to happen on May 25th. Fifty students are going to be attending this trip and five chaperones.  The chaperones that will looking after the students are: Mr. Sacher Physics Teacher, his spouse, English Teacher Ms. DeStefano, and a former physics student.

“I am very excited for the trip because, I have never been to Six Flags. I’m looking forward mostly to riding the roller coasters. I’m afraid of going on one, but it’s something that I really want to try,” senior Michelle Xia said.   

Sidebar, Rides:

Ride Min. Height Location
Air Safari 36″ w/adult Safari Kids
Batman The Ride 54″ Movietown
Big Wheel None w/adult Adventure Alley
Bizarro 54″ Frontier Adventures
Bugaboo None Safari Kids
Daffy Duck’s Hot Air Balloons None w/adult Looney Tunes Seaport
Dare Devil Dive 42″ Boardwalk
Deja Vu 36″ Adventure Alley
El Toro 42″ Plaza de Carnaval
Enchanted Teacups None w/adult Fantasy Forest
Rockwall 36″ Boardwalk
Rolling Thunder 44″ Plaza de Carnaval
Superman: Ultimate Flight 54″ Boardwalk
Tango None w/adult Plaza Del Carnaval
The Twister 54″ Boardwalk

site for this sidebar: http://www.sixflags.com/greatAdventure/rides/AllRides.aspx