Precision makes their mark by Naomi Smith- George, assistant feature editor

Precision stomped into WJPS with a burst of excitement this year. The step team made their breakthrough introducing something new to students and staff.

“I love the step team, It adds nice spirit and energy to our school, and its something different. I am very impressed with the kids, as well as with Ms. Robinson and how she organized and choreographed the kids to perfection in such little time,” High School assistant principal Mr. Jurman said.

The Step team ‘Precision’ was originally created by freshmen Shianne Wisdom, Noah Parris, and Natasha Yancy in pursuit of showcasing the art of step dancing to the WJPS community.

“There wasn’t really anything else that we were interested in joining, so we decided to start our own club, our step team,” Parris said.

“We came up with the name Precision, because we wanted a name that described accuracy,” step team advisor Ms Robinson said.

Precision’s first performance was presented at a town hall, where they performed a short piece introducing Precision to the school.

“ It was a good and new experience for me because I don’t normally watch step teams, but overall it was a really good performance,” freshman Amir Shallit said.
They have performed at other school events in addition to their first performance. In honor of women’s history month, the Do Something club put on a production showcasing acts and performances to honor great woman throughout history. Precision performed a step to Beyonce’s ‘Run the World (Girls)’ in tribute to the first lady Michelle Obama and her ‘Let’s Move’ campaign.
“Precision’s performance at the Women’s Month History Tribute was really good. It was a nice way to Incorporate step dance, and Women’s History Month,” freshman Michelle Psaltakis said.
Precision’s talent has not only surfaced within WJPS. They also have talent for the outside world to see as well. The dance team went to their first step competition on April 21st, where they competed in the 2012 Brooklyn Stomp Competition.
“I think we did well enough, it was a learning experience. I think we did good for us to have been performing for only 4 months,” Precision member and sophomore, Cierra Cherry said.
The Brooklyn Step competition is not the last activity Precision will participating in. Before the year wraps up, Precision will be performing in the step up ceremony for 8th graders moving on to highschool and WJPS’ spring concert.
“Next year we plan on creating more complex step routines and competing in at least two outside step competitions. We also plan to perform at WJPS sponsored events such as the Talent Show and Spirit Week,” Ms. Robison said.
“We’ve made a lot of progress this year. We became more stronger, skillful, and passionate about step,” Parris said.