Snapchat Streaks, Safe or Stressful?

Snapchat streaks are a seemingly harmless feature that has become a big part of the social media landscape, fostering a sense of connection and competition among people. While some may argue that maintaining Snapchat streaks are all in good fun, the experience can be stressful.

Snapchat streaks appear safe; a streak is established when two people exchange snaps for a day. A trust is formed the more snaps that are exchanged. 

The pressure to keep the streak alive becomes a daily task, looming over one’s routine like an obligation rather than a choice. Snapchat streaks can strain relationships. When the pursuit of a high streak takes precedence, the quality of communication can suffer.

Conversations may devolve into a mere exchange of photos devoid of meaningful interaction. 

Users are constantly comparing their streaks with friends. The fear of falling behind or losing a streak to someone else can lead to unnecessary tension.

WJPS 10th grader Jayden Cervantes said, “I find Snapchat streaks stressful because sometimes whenever I can’t keep up with it I just get all worried what if the other person gets mad at me.”

Mark Miller, a WJPS 11th grader said, “It’s very stressful because sometimes I don’t feel like doing it and I feel lazy.”

Snapchat” by theglobalpanorama is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.