NYC School Phone Dilemma

Cell phones are on people at all times in 2023. You can’t go anywhere without them.

However, do students bring their cellphones to school is the question. Chances are many students will say yes to that question as it’s simply a necessity. 

Cellphones can often pose a distraction to students during class time and questions whether it affects student performance. According to research done at Rutgers University it was found that having a device didn’t lower students’ scores in comprehension tests within lectures, but did lower their scores in the end-of-term exam by at least five percent, or half a grade.¨

Recently some Florida public schools banned the use of cell phones and so have certain Maine school districts. Would people agree NYC schools should follow? 

WJPS 12th grade, Sophia Turner said, “I can see the logic behind the ban in NYC schools. It would anger students more than really foster a good environment, primarily because students would see it as punishment then being beneficial to them.” 

WJPS teacher, Mrs. Marks stated, “I don’t think we should ban them, but I think we should have students check their cellphones at the door when they come in and have some place for them to keep it plugged and away.”

NYC shouldn’t outright ban cellphones, however, there needs to be some action to disciplinarily hold back cellphone usage in schools and further research on if a ban truly works.