Smaller Classes

Smaller+Classes

Many believe that the number of students in a class is larger than it should be. Some teachers want their class sizes smaller because they want their students to be participating and being engaged with their work. With a larger class size, more students can get distracted and not do their work to the best of their abilities.

WJPS teacher and union representative, Mr. Mengani stated, “If you decrease class sizes, you need more teachers, more classrooms, larger buildings. The DOE wants to keep the class sizes as high as possible, UFT and teachers want it as low as possible because it’s the ideal student outcome.” 

However, if class sizes were bigger, students would be more likely to get distracted because of so much going on in the classroom. Many would begin talking and have too many side conversations going on at the same time.

WJPS guidance aide Ms. Cat stated, “Once the class is smaller there could be more focus on individuals. I do feel like when there’s a bigger class there’s more interaction, more conversations more diversity, so that’s a big plus.”

With the class sizes being smaller, the teachers would have the opportunity to be able to have more engaged students with more interaction between students and teachers.  It would also enable students to have the learning experience in a smaller classroom to be a fun, learning environment.