Ukraine’s Friends From The Theater District

The war between Russia and Ukraine has dominated our headlines since it first began.

The effects of the war and what others are doing to help Ukraine have been heavily discussed as the war rages on.

However, one group helping has rarely been discussed in the media, the many members of American live theater. 

Various groups within the theater community have shown their support for Ukraine during these challenging times for their country, raising funds and awareness to send to them overseas.

The Metropolitan Opera hosted a live concert, streamed on March 14th, to raise money for the relief efforts in Ukraine. 

All profits from ticket sales, as well as all donations, were donated to Ukraine. The Metropolitan Opera has also made it a point to cut ties with their performers that support Russian president Vladimir Putin.

There was a recent screening of the Fiddler On The Roof documentary Fiddler: A Miracle Of Miracles at Hunter College. All proceeds were donated to The Blue Card and The Survivor Mitzvah Project.  The profits and donations brought food, shelter, and medical supplies to Ukraine and helped the country’s current humanitarian crisis.

The Drama League also recently participated in a benefit event called the Worldwide Readings Project for Ukraine. A public reading of two Ukrainian plays raised awareness and funds to help the humanitarian crisis hitting Ukraine in light of the war.

WJPS teacher Mr. Gardner said, “People should use whatever platform they have to support causes they believe in.” 

WJPS teacher Ms. Marks said, “I am in support of helping the people of Ukraine. My family is from there. The actors showing support for the people in need there shows the spirit of New York City. We are a melting pot and accepting of all cultures, but we don’t accept inhumane behavior.”