Virtual Reality in Class

Virtual Reality in Class

In 1969 computer artist Myron Krueger developed the basis of artificial reality through computer generated environments. Today, virtual reality can branch out to affect aspects of everyday life.

Inside and outside the classroom, students and teachers are able to use virtual reality as a resource. Students would be able to gain experiences based on subjects that are being taught through simulations in virtual reality.

“I think virtual reality would be beneficial for students, but overall I do not think it would be a long term solution to replace normal school classes. I think it would be good for snow days or as a break once in a while,” stated WJPS Spanish teacher, Mr. Reff.

To experience virtual reality a headset is necessary, it allows for a hands-free experience and a program to track and monitor what is being shown to the students. Companies such as ClassVR offer storage and charging stations for headsets along with programs to be used in classes.

“It would create a complex environment and it would be too distracting. Students aren’t able to navigate outside without the technology, let alone with the technology and teachers would not be able to see students’ interactions,” said, WJPS technology specialist, Mr. Myrtil.