A New Discovery in Genomic Study

A New Discovery in Genomic Study

Researchers recently discovered Denisova 11, a fossil found in 2012, determined to be a 13 year old girl who lived estimatedly 90,000 years ago. This established the first generational result of confirmed interaction between the Neanderthals and Denisovans. 

The girl, as well as others during this era, were a part of what is known as a third introgression, which is a transfer between genes. This idea regarding Denisova 11 introduced the crossbreeding between Neanderthals, Denisovans and modern humans. 

Artificial Intelligence suggested an unknown human ancestral species communicated with humans during the speculated ‘Out of Africa’ era, where a section of the human population, mostly consisting of modern humans, migrated from the African continent, traveling throughout the region breeding with historic and extinct human species.

With this idea various logical procedures were performed by filtering through complex ancient as well as modern human genetic codes to figure what was considered a “ghost” archaic population which was found within Eurasian (a mixture between Europe and Asian) DNA. 

The Bayesian inference, which is a statistic supported estimate, using the Bayes theorem, a mathematical formula for determining the probability in increased likelihood of a reliable idea, as new evidence continually becomes available.

This being a specific technique used to grasp an understanding of a “third introgression” in which modern humans interbred with different ‘early humans’ during the ‘Out of Africa Era.’

In this discovery, research offers an idea of the extent technology can supply our discovery, not solely in advancement, rather understanding that which is deemed ‘simple.’ 

Sonya Woodham a WJPS junior stated, “Technology in its entirety is a beneficial aspect, the likeliness of a major causing anything drastic is slim, however possible, that’s why it’s important to keep technology under limitations so we can still control it at the end of the day.” 

While, Daniela Quispe, a fellow WJPS unior stated, “Honestly, technology is helpful in some ways but if we give it too much power I think it could do some serious damage.” 

Research continues today in formulating estimates and hypotheses of where we’ve originated from and the environmental aspects which impacted our evolution, as artificial intelligence and technology render aid as needed. 

“Skull wall” by John Donges is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0