Field Day: Is it a Must, or a Bust?

The 2021-2022 school year has begun at World Journalism Preparatory School, and with that, many are wondering what school traditions outlasted COVID-19. Field Day has always been an exciting tradition, so that begs the question: Is it happening this year?

As incoming students to WJPS just a few years ago, the prospect of Field Day at a new school was thrilling. This was an opportunity to have fun, make new friends, and, as most students thought, a day off from classes.

Last year school shut down for the 2020-2021 year, and Field Day just wasn’t a possibility. However, schools have now reopened once more, so could it return?

Reintroducing the event comes with a lot of benefits and consequences. While students get to feel that sense of normalcy with school traditions returning, how safe is it with a raging pandemic? 

Mr. Petrotta, WJPS assistant principal, said, “I would love for Field Day to happen. I think it’s a good opportunity to build class camaraderie and school spirit. Currently, the Department of Education is not allowing field trips, so there are no yellow school buses. This makes logistics much more complicated. We are actively pursuing solutions, as we would love to have this WJPS tradition happen.”

Mr. Maroney, WJPS physical education teacher, said, “I think Field Day is a phenomenal thing. I think it’s a tradition for the school and it would be a good return to normalcy for the most part.”

Field Day is a good idea for the benefit of all WJPS students and staff. No matter what, the risk of COVID is here to stay and at least this event is outside.