The Internet Apocalypse?

Conversation has arisen over the past few months in regards to the sun’s current uprise in activity due to entering another solar cycle. Throughout the informative stance, a likely scenario was brought to attention in terms of society and the position our world would find itself in if the Internet were to collapse entirely. 

The sun goes through a solar cycle every 11 years, where the sun’s north and south directions switch. When the sun is in the center of this series it’s known to be at its most operative. 

In effect solar flares, which are incremental flashes of increased brightness, and coronal mass ejections, that are large explosions caused by magnetic storms, release a large cloud of highly energized plasma clouds into space. A strong solar storm incorporated with both of these occurrences could destroy power grids collapsing Internet infrastructure entirely. 

Through this hypothetical lense, the idea is brought to mention whether experts would be able to recover the Internet by any means and if not, the protocol to inaugurate a new system if needed. 

The debate of the peoples’ response differs heavily, due to the dependence society has grown on the Internet socially, economically, and politically. 

In conference with students at WJPS, some posited the answer of their belief whether society would devolve or flourish if this possibility were to occur. 

Sonya Woodham, a junior from WJPS stated, “Without the Internet, society is unable to survive.”  

While Maria Sojos, another fellow junior, expressed “We’re so used to the Internet that we won’t be able to do anything without relying on it.” 

“Mid-level Solar Flare” by NASA Goddard Photo and Video is licensed under CC BY 2.0