Oldest Supermassive Black Hole Discovered

It was revealed recently that experts have found a Quasar that came into existence not long after the Big Bang, and right at the center lies a massive black hole.

A Quasar is an object in space powered by black holes that are larger than our sun.

Named Quasar J0313-1806, it houses the earliest, most distant black hole discovered thus far, with its creation dating back to over 13 billion years ago. This means that J0313-1806 existed when the universe was only five percent of the size it is now.

The black hole is larger than over one billion suns, and consumes a mass equal to 25 suns each year.

Nicole Freyeisen, a junior at WJPS, said, “I find it very fascinating. It’s crazy how people can find things from such a long time ago.”

Lianna Zuvich, another junior at WJPS, said, “I think it’s really cool that it was discovered, but I wonder how they determine how old it is.”

A black hole is formed when a massive star implodes. However, due to J0313-1806 being fully formed early on in the universe’s lifespan, scientists are beginning to question how it was created. 

The discovery of J0313-1806 may prove to be useful in helping us understand our universe.

“Quasar Tsunamis Rip Across Galaxies” by NASA Goddard Photo and Video is licensed under CC BY 2.0