Artificial Intelligence in Space?

As Mankind shifts to improving the efficiency of space travel in hopes to soon populate other planets safely, scientists are considering implementing AI (Artificial Intelligence) in space.

The Hyperspace Challenge program is currently looking for new ways to improve space technology such as satellites by implementing an AI aspect to them so that spacecraft can detect when they are not functional so that they may be repaired.

This would help improve people on Earth as well who rely on GPS that uses satellites in space and would be severely affected by any form of damage.

Hyperspace also proposed space gas stations that automatically detect space-crafts that need fuel and provide the required fuel in a fast and efficient way.

WJPS senior Brandon Brito said, “I feel this would make space exploration much more efficient since there will be fewer problems for the crew to fix, leaving room to improve other aspects of travel.”

WJPS alumni 2020 graduate Daniel Ian said, “AI is pretty scary to even think of. Robots basically taking over human jobs and doing stuff for us, it’s almost surreal to think about it. If the help of robots can help with space travel and perfecting the technology to do so, I’m all for it.”

The Hyperspace program intends on coming up with new ways to make space travel more efficient to make more advancements in space.

“Space Engine” by K-putt is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0