The Yankees Season: A Review

The Yankees Season: A Review

By: Derek Chin: Opinion Reporter 

The New York Yankees didn’t live up to many people’s expectations. For the Yankees, a team with World Series hopes, getting knocked out of the playoffs early again is a disappointment. 

After beginning 16-6, a postponement in a series with the Mets (due to a few Met players contracting COVID-19) threw them off their rhythm, going 5-15. They regained in a 10-0 run, but finished the season going 2-6, ending with a 33-27 record and second place in the AL East. 

The Yankees entered the playoffs, defeating the Cleveland Indians in the opening round in a best two out of three games. However, they ended up being defeated and sent home in the ALDS by their division rival and eventual AL Champ, the Tampa Bay Rays. 

Mr. Reff, a Spanish teacher at WJPS said, “I do not think that the Yankees themselves were disappointing. I think that inconsistency that they played with was disappointing, and that they played hard until game five against the AL champions. Tampa is a for-real team, and I am mostly disappointed in how the Yankees handled game two, and I think they should have left Deivi Garcia in.” 

WJPS junior Julien Prasso shares the same view, “I was very displeased with the Yankees season, but I have to take the fact that they weren’t at full strength into consideration. In the postseason they played well, but management hurt their chances of winning greatly.”

Overall, the Yankees will hopefully make the moves necessary to improve their play both in the regular season and playoffs to have a chance at the 2021 World Series Championship. 

“NY Yankees Logo” by 2Eklectik is licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0