A Look Inside WJPS’ New Environmental Club

Earlier this year, World Journalism Preparatory School added the Environmental Club to its list of extracurricular options that are offered for students. 

The club was initiated by WJPS senior, Zainab Ali, who serves as the club’s president. Mrs. Mitsiadis is the teacher supervisor. 

When asked why she wanted to start the club, Ali stated, “I’d say I more so revived it than started it, because in previous years, the club was mainly focused on running the recycling system at school. However, now that we don’t need that, I felt that it was still important to continue student engagement in the community. I wanted to offer my connections to members in volunteering and interning while also broadening our impact on the school.”

Regarding future projects that the Environmental Club intends to do, Ali revealed, “Some upcoming projects we’re looking forward to is definitely gardening for the school. We are currently looking into hydroponics to set up in classrooms. To add on, we’d like to soon host fundraisers for special environmental causes and attend youth conferences.” 

Hydroponics are methods that are used to grow plants in water without soil. This system allows water to be reused and conserved.

Meetings are conducted on Thursdays during sixth period lunch in room 356, Mrs. Mitsiadis’ classroom. To join the WJPS Environmental Club, contact Zainab Ali or Mrs. Mitsiadis.